Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Night to Forget

Ahhh, being the mom. It has it's benefits. Dealing with sick kids in the middle of the night is NOT one of them.

Last night as I was trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to fall asleep about midnight I had a child burst into my room. Travis was not feeling well and not doing it quietly. After trying some Pepto Bismol for the tummy ache I tried to tuck him in on the couch where I could hear him if he needed me. Not five minutes later he was thrashing and scratching like a crazy man. He had broken into some serious hives. He was covered from head to toe--literally. His face, back, arms and legs, stomach, all were just covered in hives.

I got him some Benadryl, but he was itching so badly that I suggested he get in the shower for a few minutes to alleviate the itching until the benadryl could take effect. Just as he was getting in I heard great wailing and whining only to discover he has now thrown up. Making it to the toilet would have been just too much to hope for at this point. He did a great job of plastering my master bathroom with his dinner, pepto and benadryl. I love cleaning those messes up. Especially in the middle of the night.

After a few more trips to the bathroom (using a bowl to catch any preemptive eruptions) he finally settled down for the night.

But as luck would have it I happen to love this kiddo. Good thing for him too cause I don't clean up just anyone's puke.

2 comments:

Lloyd said...

I think I need a rest... just reading your blog wore me out!! ;-) And as to this latest "night to forget", you need a disclaimer... I guess I should no better than to read when I'm eating dinner!!! "Bout lost mine reading about Travis losing his. LoL.

Sorry I haven't commented before. I've read your other posts, but for one reason or another didn't get around to posting a comment. I'll try to do better. Nice blog!

MaryBeth said...

Bobbi, that is just plain horrible. You have my deepest and most profound sympathies.