Monday, August 8, 2011

Finding Joy in the Journey

Yesterday's Relief Society lesson was on Finding Joy in the Journey. That's a topic I've given a lot of thought to in the past, so I was interested in the discussion. I've come to several conclusions. First, you pretty much find what you're looking for in life. Second, everyone struggles. Third, sometimes it's easier to find joy than others, but it's always there if we are looking.

This move to Connecticut has been an interesting time for me to find joy. From the time the idea was proposed to me last August I think I knew we would be coming here. It was just one of those times when someone says something and you know it feels right. Like it fits, even though it may not be comfortable at first. All through the process of this planning and moving I have had an overwhelming sense of peace. I've mentioned it to Lynn on several occasions that even though the stress level is immense I still have that underlying peace.

Some of that peace comes from knowing I'll face this adventure with him. His love and support have taken me through many things and when we face those together we always come out alright. But another part of that peace is that I've allowed myself to accept that it would be challenging but still positive in the end. That's progress for me.

It doesn't mean it's not hard to be thousands of miles away from our parents as they face serious health issues. Or to leave our home in the hands of others and hope for the best. It doesn't make it less difficult for the kids to face transitions to new schools and friends, but it does mean that along this bumpy journey there is a lot of joy to be found. I'm looking forward to the discovery of it each new day.

0 comments: