Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Oh my aching back!"

I'm getting old. There's just no way around it. I keep trying to convince myself otherwise, but the evidence is mounting and I'm afraid I am going to have to face the music.

This week I went to an early morning exercise class. At one point I felt a twinge in my lower back, and having experienced that before I knew I needed to protect my back with each movement. Well the next morning in an effort to do just that I totally blew it. I moved suddenly and while the rest of my body went one way my back stayed put right where it was.

So I have spent the rest of the week eating ibuprofen like breath mints, sitting on a heating pad and hobbling around like a 90 year old woman. I even had to hire my own personal Boy Scout to help me at the grocery store. (Good thing I happen to have a few of them around my house). I am making progress, but I don't think I'll be moving any furniture anytime soon.

And just for the record, I am not really THAT old--not like my siblings.

*wink* Love you guys!

3 comments:

Lloyd said...

It's not the years, it's the miles. ;)

Ice seems to work better for me than warmth when the injury is new. 8 minutes on, 8 minutes off. Also, try (gingerly, and when at least a little warmed up, e.g., after some walking (which usually helps me), to stretch your hamstrings. Tight hamstrings almost always cause low back issues. Believe me, been there, done that, got a whole stack of t-shirts. Good luck with that... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (well, maybe, but not too much. :)

kellyclay said...

Bobbi I am so sorry!!!

LaMar Eldredge said...

So it's not just the boys that get the bad backs in the family! Sharing the bad knees is really bad enough. I am really sorry to hear about your suffering. Like Lloyd, been there, done that.