Saturday, July 25, 2009

Roller Coaster Ride

I knew when I signed up to be a Make A Wish volunteer that there would be times when the adorable kids I work with would not make it. That knowledge however doesn't make it any easier when one of them passes away. This summer we have lost two of our wish kids. One the weekend before he was scheduled to travel for his wish, and a second one this weekend....just three weeks after returning from Orlando. Thankfully he had a wonderful time, and was able to enjoy riding the roller coasters, but yesterday he lost his battle with cancer.

In this job I meet amazing families. People who have faced the Goliaths in their lives with grace and tenacity, and still have great hope. People who are so grateful for what we do for them, and don't want to ask for too much. It's a real privilege for me to have a part in facilitating these wishes. I am a better person for having met and worked with them.

Fly free little Ryan....

1 comments:

Jules said...

How is it that you're in Utah and I haven't seen you yet?!! What the fire?!!