Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Lightbulb Moment

I was at the gym yesterday and ran into a member of the church (at the time I go there are tons of Mormons in the gym--it's pretty funny since I do not live in a very LDS populated place, but I digress). Anyway the guy was saying how he hadn't seen me there much lately. Sadly, true. I said how I always seem to find good reasons for not getting there. Then he said something that really hit me. He said, "I feel like taking care of my physical body is as important as taking care of my spiritual self. If I don't get to the gym I feel just as guilty as if I missed church."

Wow. I thought about that. I don't wake up every Sunday and check my list of things to do then decide if I'll go to church or not. I got to church every week unless I'm sick. Period. I can't imagine not doing it that way. So why don't I feel that way about my body. I have been given a literal stewardship over this physical body. I shouldn't have to decide again every day if I'm going to take care of it.

Epiphany.

I walked 4 miles this morning.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

What a great thought! Thanks for sharing and WTG for a 4 mile walk.

MaryBeth said...

Ummm...I actually do wake up every Sunday morning and tally up to decide if I should go or not. Usually the things I need to do involve cleaning so church automatically takes priority ;)